Tuesday 31 December 2013

Favorite Shows from the Past Year

I probably went to more than my fair share of shows this year. My hearing definitely took a hit, but it was all worth it to see some of my favorite bands in person! Here are some of my fav shows from 2013 in chronological order:

April 13th | Rah Rah, Two Hours Traffic, and Zeus at Biltmore, Vancouver

An absolutely unbelievable lineup of bands, and I was ridiculously excited for the show well in advance. It definitely did not disappoint. Rah Rah hit the stage to an empty dance floor that quickly filled with people enjoying their infectious blend of indie rock. I especially enjoyed how the band rotated instruments throughout the set. Next was Two Hours Traffic, one of my favorite bands ever, and I went full fan-boy, proceeding to sing along to every song on the setlist. Zeus followed with a rocking set. But what really made the show special were all the other musicians in attendance. Said the Whale, Yukon Blonde, Dan Mangan and more were all there, making the evening into a celebration of the Canadian indie rock scene. To top it off, Zeus brought a bunch of these special guests on stage to conclude with Springsteen’s “Dancing in the Dark.”


 August 11th | Avett Brothers at Edmonton Folk Music Festival

What a great day in the sun with friends. Danced my pants off to the Avett Brothers’ tight and professional set. The day really ended with a literal BANG with an insane thunderstorm.

September 29th | Elliott BROOD at Media Club, Vancouver

This was an amazing, intimate evening to celebrate Elliott BROOD’s 10 Year Anniversary as a band. With many friends and family in the room, the BROOD played an extra long and enthusiastic set. And man oh man was it LOUD, my ears haven’t rung like that in a long time. Loved hearing the entire crowd hollering along, a rarity in Vancouver it seems…



October 17th | Japandroids at Biltmore, Vancouver 

I have never been so sweaty in my entire life. The mosh was ridiculous; I even ended up on stage near the end of the set. Brian and Dave completely rocked out, playing every song from Post-Nothing and Celebration Rock with amazing energy. Brian repeatedly said that the band would be retiring some of the songs from their live set after the show, so I was very glad to have heard some of my favorite tracks one last time live!


December 3rd | The Head and the Heart at Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver

Really great set that was more rocking than I was expecting. Crowd was into it, band was into it, everyone was just on the same page at the same time, which made the night really awesome. Loved the finale with everybody singing along to “Down in the Valley.”


Upcoming Shows I’m going to and YOU should too:

January 5th Surfer Blood with Wild Ones at Media Club

Great indie rock with a surf rock feel. Way too big in my opinion to be playing the Media Club, so should be a nice intimate night.



February 6th White Lies at Venue

Big, stadium-esque rock and roll with a new wave influence. Epic.



No comments:

Post a Comment